I know that I personally hate when I spend time making my nails look ever so perfect just fro them to chip within 1 or 2 days. But luckily there are ways to make your nail polish stay on your nails longer and dazzling! I have been doing these little things to help my nails stay healthy and keep them looking great longer. The wonderful thing about it all is that you won't have to always be fixing your nails or hiding chipped finger nails from others.
1. Before painting your nails make sure that you wash your hands thoroughly to remove all excess oils and any type of residue that may be on your nails. This will allow the nail polish to be applied to a clean surface and not on top of oily residue.
2. After washing I like to use a Cuticle Pusher to push my cuticles down so that I am able to cover my entire nail bed. This will allow your nail polish to last because you will be painting new nail growth that may have been covered by your cuticle and would have grown out not polished forcing you to paint your nails again. These can be purchased just about anywhere from the dollar store to your grocery store for $1-$3.
3. Base Coat! Always apply a base coat to your nails not only will it keep your nails protected and healthy but it will make a smooth base for your nail polish. There are many different brands and kinds of base coats depending on your nail needs. I use the Seche Base which can cost from 4-7 dollars depending on the store.
4. Time to apply the nail polish! Do not apply in thick coats, you may think this will help you get the color you desire but its only makes it more prone to peeling. Apply your nail polish in thin coats and allow them to dry.
5. Apply a top coat. Top coat protects your nail polish from chips and gives it a beautiful shine. I use the Seche Vite Dry fast top coat. I love it because it protects my nails and it dries fast so I don't have to stand around waiting for my nails to dry:)! ranges from 4-7 dollars
**Extra tips! Apply nail polish to the tops of your nails in a horizontal motion. This will help keep your nails from chipping.
Keep your nails and hands moisturized because dryness can cause nail polish to deteriorate which equals lots of chipping.